If you’re looking for a quick crochet project this ones for you. The use of a large hook and bulky weight yarn this toque works up really fast.
What’s nice about using Paintbox Baby DK for this project is it makes a nice light-weight toque, perfect for the warmer weather. 🙂
- 12mm hook
- Paintbox Yarns Baby DK (55% acrylic 45% nylon, dk weight, 183 yards per skein)
- MC – 2 skeins: Misty Grey
- CC – 1 skein: Candy Floss or Mint Green or Pale Lilac
- Alternative yarn: 1 x Bernat Beyond (85% acrylic 15% nylon, bulky weight, 80 yards per skein)
- Note: when using Bernat Beyond I only crochet the body up to Round 14 then do 2 rounds of sc. This way you can use just one skein. If you want to make it longer you will need 2 skeins.
- ch = chain
- sl st = slip stich
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- yo = yarn over
- hhdc = herringbone half double crochet
- MC = main colour
- CC = contrasting colour
Herringbone Half Double Crochet:
yo, insert hook in stitch, yo pull up a loop, pull through first loop on hook, yo pull through both loops on hook.
- pattern in US terms
- finished size: approx. 10″ tall x 8″ wide
- ch 1 at the beginning of each row does not count as a stitch
- colour changes: MC – rounds 1 – 13, CC – rounds 14 – 18
- when using DK weight yarn, crochet using three strands held together
- take the 2 skeins of MC and roll in three equal sized balls, same as for the CC skein
- see below video for the method I use for crochet with 3 strands from using one skein
How to make one strand of yarn into three
Round 1: ch 1, 8 hhdc in magic circle (8 sts)
Round 2: ch 1, 2 hhdc in same st as join, 2 hhdc in each st around, sl st in first hhdc (16 sts)
Round 3: ch 1, 1 hhdc in same st as join, 2 hhdc, *1 hhdc, 2 hhdc * repeat around, sl st to first hhdc (24 sts)
Round 4: ch 1, 1 hhdc in same st as join, 1 hhdc , 2 hhdc, *1 hhdc in next 2 sts, 2 hhdc * repeat around, sl st to first hhdc (32 sts)
Round 5: ch 1, 1 hhdc in same st as join, 1 hhdc in each st around, sl st to first hhdc (32 sts)
Round 6 – 16: repeat round 5
Round 17: ch 1, sc in same st as join, 1 sc in each st around, sl st to first sc (32 sts)
Round 18: repeat round 17
Cut, fasten, weave in ends!
You can also a buy ready made Tweet Toque here. 🙂
Please do not reprint or repost this pattern. You can share the link to this page to share this pattern with others. You can sell items made from this pattern online and at local craft shows, please credit iHooked as the designer by adding a link to this website.